World Cup Germany 2006 - Switzerland vs. Ukraine - Cologne
World Cup Germany 2006 organized by FIFA took place June 9 to July 9. These are scenes from the Round of 16 Match with Switzerland against Ukraine. It was Ukraine's first ever World Cup appearance. And it made history for Switzerland as well.
Celebrazio in Germany
- Trip itinerary: June 23-24: Amsterdam; June 25 Brussels; June 26-27 Cologne (day trip: Dortmund) for matches 54 and 55. June 28-29 Rhineland; June 30 Hamburg (match 58); July 1-4 Cologne / Rhine area; July 2 Krombacher brewery tour; July 4 Dortmund (match 61). July 5-7 Stuttgart area.
- Amsterdam Visit Documented: World Cup Celebrazio Amsterdam pages are up.
- Brazil v. Ghana match, Dortmund: Round of 16 match photos posted.
- Germany Sights and Scenes: Summer in Germany photos completed and posted.
- Group Photos and other fans pics are up: sharing some of the fun with you.
- Hamburg featured a Soccer theme in their local history museum which provided these classics.
- And the game in Hamburg was great too: Italy vs. Ukraine in the Quarterfinal match.
- Historic, Fantastic Semi-final: Germany vs. Italy match from Dortmund, July 4th was spectacular: 2-0 overtime victory puts Italy through to the Final.
Though Switzerland lost in penalty kicks, they set a World Cup history record: the only team to ever exit the tournament having surrendered no goals.
Ukraine celebrates winning in penalty kicks after a scoreless game.
The beautiful stadium in Cologne Germany, Rhein-Energie
Ukraine nearly scored, Switzerland nearly lost their tournament clean sheet - but it was not to be. Ball rebounds off the crossbar.